EASTON - The 17th annual Regional Poetry Contest sponsored by the Caroline, Cecil, Kent, Queen Anne's and Talbot County arts councils will present this year's winners with cash awards at the Church Hill Theatre at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, April 25. There were more than 100 contest entries this year, including a wide representation of styles and topics and age groups.
The contest was established in 1997 to recognize and encourage emerging and established writers. Since its inception, more than 3,100 entries have been received. This year's contest judge, Meredith Davies Hadaway, is the author of two poetry collections, "The River is a Reason" and "Fishing Secrets of the Dead." She has received four Pushcart nominations and two fellowships from the Virginia Center for Creative Arts as well as a Maryland State Arts Council Individual Artist Award. She has published in many literary journals and is a book reviewer for Poetry International and poetry editor for The Summerset Review. Hadaway holds an Masters in Fine Arts in poetry from the Vermont College of Fine Arts. She is vice president for college relations and marketing at Washington College in Chestertown.
Listed below are the 2013 poetry contest winners.
Children/youth - grades one to eight
1. "The Shape of My Heart," Tatjana Knight of Talbot County, St. Michaels Middle/High School
2. "Wasted," Tyler Bonner of Queen Anne's County, Centreville Middle School
3. "I'm # 2," Camden Harrison of Talbot County, Tilghman Elementary School
Honorable Mention: "Happiness," Eve Yacopino of Talbot County, Tilghman Elementary School
Students - grades nine to 12
1. "Where I'm From," Alexis Welch of Queen Anne's County, Gunston Day School
2. "Lights Off," Andrew Short of Kent County, Gunston Day School
3. "Grey Coat," Olivia Keene of Talbot County, Gunston Day School
Adults - ages 18 to 59
1. "Recessional," Samantha Pitts of Talbot County
2. "The Violinist," Gina Ciardi of Talbot County
3. "Poor Girl Haiku," Cynthia Thomas of Caroline County
Honorable Mention: "The Whole World Watches," Samantha Pitts of Talbot County
Seniors - age 60 and older
1. "From Far Off," Alex Johnson of Queen Anne's County
2. "In Time," Nick Andes of Talbot County
3. "Lacy Ties," Michael Potts of Queen Anne's County
Honorable Mention: "November 1963," Suzanne Gregory of Caroline County