MT. DESERT ISLAND, MAINE Niki Scott, a retired journalist and one-time resident of Talbot County, died suddenly at her home on Mt. Desert Island, Maine, on Thursday, April 26, 2012. She was 68.

She is survived by her husband of 25 years, Joseph N. Valliant, formerly of Bellevue, and sons Robert and John Scott, and by her grandchildren Jackson Scott and twins Tarynne and Connor Scott. She is also survived by her own twin, William B. Taylor Jr. of Woodstock, Conn., and stepdaughter Anne Valliant Burgess of Chatsworth, Calif., formerly of Easton

In her working years, she was an award-winning reporter for The Charlotte (N.C.) News, and, later, wrote "Working Woman," a syndicated column, for 22 years. Her column ran in both The Star Democrat and The Baltimore Sun. She is the author of two books, "Working Woman" and "the Balancing Act," which addressed the concerns of working women, especially working mothers. She was also a contributing editor to McCall's magazine.

Ms. Scott was born Dec. 31, 1943, in New York City. Her mother was one of the first female radio commentators and broadcast from WOR for 32 years under the name Martha Deane. Before that, she was an award-winning journalist for the NEA news syndicate, a career that served as a model for her daughter. Her father was an advertising executive.

Ms. Scott was introduced to the Eastern Shore in 1961, when she enrolled in Washington College in Chestertown, and she lived in Baltimore for a time after she married at the end of her freshman year.

As a child, Niki lived in Manhattan and Shelter Island, N.Y., and Sarasota, Fla. She was educated at the Shelter Island elementary school; the Outdoor School in Sarasota; Rosemary Hall, Greenwich, Conn.; Nightingale-Bamford School in New York; Oak Grove School in Vassalboro, Maine; and La Chatelainie in Gstadd, Switzerland. "I don't know why, but these schools didn't invite me back for the next semester," she said. She graduated from high school after a year in the Lennox School in New York, then attended Washington College and Columbia University in New York, but left before earning her degree to raise her sons.

Moving to Park Forest, Ill., she began her journalism career with a part-time job on a suburban weekly while teaching nursery school. The job soon became full-time and she covered the Democratic National Convention in Chicago in 1968, where she was gassed, roughed up and detained overnight by the Chicago constabulary.

When she moved to Charlotte, N.C., in 1971, she found a job on the staff of The Charlotte Newsand quickly graduated from the obituaries, community events and feature pages to covering courts and the police. During a civil disturbance created by the forced bussing issue, Niki and her photographer escaped serious injury when their car was overturned by rioters. She also covered the appearance of musicians ranging from Pat Boone to Elvis Presley. Her coverage of an airline crash at Charlotte won her the state journalism association's top prize for hard news reporting, the first of several she was awarded in North Carolina.

Leaving The Charlotte News, Ms. Scott began a free-lance career and placed articles in a number of national and regional publications before signing a 10-year contract with Universal Press Syndicate to write two 700-word columns a week, a commitment she kept for 22 years when ill health forced her to retire.

In 1976, Niki and her family happened upon Mt. Desert Island on their way to Nova Scotia, and seeking a less urbanized environment in which to raise her sons, she moved to Southwest Harbor, Maine, in time to start the school year.

In the 1980s, Ms. Scott built a public speaking business, in which Niki traveled the United States making inspirational speeches to audiences ranging from a few dozen to several thousand. She developed her knack for talking to crowds as she went along, using humor and her ability to create an atmosphere of shared experience with the mostly female members of her audiences. Her speaking took her from Bangor to Honolulu, from Portland to Pensacola, and all over the middle of the country from Illinois to Texas.

One of her toughest audiences was a gathering of Army wives of the 82nd Airborne at Ft. Bragg, N.C., which gave her a standing ovation at the conclusion of her talk. Another was a convention of female state employees in Bellingham, Wash., who she addressed over breakfast as the ladies were recovering from a night of revelry. According to one witness, she left them laughing and reaching for another round of Alka-Seltzer.

Niki was a survivor of several close calls in her seven decades on earth. In the winter of 1977, she and a friend were swept by a storm wave into the ocean near Thunder Hole in Acadia National Park. Only the quick and heroic action of her then-husband saved the two women.

She escaped a high-rise hotel fire in Tulsa, Okla., and while travelling on business, was confronted at night by a knife-wielding man in a parking lot at the Detroit airport. She escaped unharmed by keeping calm and using her considerable powers of persuasion to convince him to release her.

Her narrowest escape occurred in 1959 when she missed the recall signal of a cruise ship and was stranded in Dakar, Senegal, in west Africa. Just 15 at the time, she made her way by using her American passport and what money she had. She traveled alone to Lisbon, Portugal, by way of Casablanca, Cairo, Istanbul, Rome and Monaco, where she was reunited with her family. She attributed her safe passage to the "kindness of strangers" and the fact that the world was far friendlier toward Americans then than it is now. She was so frightened at the time, she recalled, that few of the details of this adventure remained in her memory, although her passport attests to her odyssey. She liked to remember the moonlight night she evaded the custodians of the Acropolis in Athens and slept in the little temple of Niki, the Greek goddess of victory.

She was also a breast cancer survivor and used her column and personal contacts to encourage women to have frequent breast exams. "Early diagnosis saved me," she often said.

In her latter years, she liked to entertain at little dinner parties and talk late into the night, but most of all she loved to be with her family and a few close friends. This close contact sustained her spirits as her health and ability to get around declined. Throughout her life, which was troubled by chronic back pain, she maintained a keen sense of humor, a lively interest in other people and an optimism which rose and fell like the tide but never failed. Remembering her, people recalled her sparkling personality, her remarkable insight into the issues of her time, her generosity and her way of making everyone she talked with feel close to her, but mostly they recalled her laughter, which was frequent, hearty and always sincere.

A memorial service will be at 2 p.m. Friday, May 4, at the Tremont Congregational Church, Tremont, Maine. Donations in Niki's memory can be made to the American Cancer Society or to Talbot Humane, two causes which were dear to her heart.

(0) entries

Sign the guestbook.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.