EASTON — Throughout Maryland, the Knights of Columbus will be collecting needed supplies and donations to assist the Little Sisters of the Poor. The first of these collections will take place from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, May 16.
The Little Sisters of the Poor are an international congregation of Roman Catholic women religious founded in 1839 by Saint Jeanne Jugan. Together with a diverse network of collaborators, they serve the elderly poor in over 30 countries around the world. Continuing the work of Saint Jeanne Jugan, their mission is to offer the neediest elderly of every race and religion a home where they are welcomed as Christ, cared for as family and accompanied with dignity until God calls them to himself.
The Little Sisters operate three homes serving Maryland. They are located in Washington, D.C., Newark, Del., and Baltimore. The home in Newark has been especially affected by COVID 19 pandemic. According to an article published in The Atlantic, “…in March and April, roughly one in five residents died, and many others fell sick.” As of May 2, it appears that eleven residents entered eternal life due to confirmed or presumed cases of COVID-19.
The collection will be at the Knights of Columbus home located at 8161 Teal Drive, behind the Easton Walmart. Items in greatest need are individual food and drink packets, biodegradable lunch trays, paper (not Styrofoam) 8-ounce cups, cash and, of course, face shields and disposable gowns. For questions or a complete list, contact the Knights at regina. firstname.lastname@example.org.
Personal Care Items
- Unscented or lightly scented hand and body lotion
- Unscented or lightly scented body wash
- Mouthwash — Alcohol free
- Denture Tablets
- Individual Applesauce
- Individual Puddings
- Snack packs of crackers
- Soda (Regular & Diet) — cans
- Gatorade — Any flavor
- Juice Boxes or Pouches — Any flavor
- Cases of Water
- White Copier Paper
- Postage Stamps
- AA and AAA Batteries
- Size 13 (312) Hearing Aid Batteries
- Liquid Dish Detergent
- Anti-bacterial Liquid Soap
- Paper Towels
- Kleenex facial tissues
- Dinner Napkins
- Hand Sanitizer
- Sanitizer Wipes
- Lysol Disinfectant Spray (Can)
- Face Shields & Face Masks
- Disposable Gowns (PPE) w/sleeves
- (300) Cut 4-1/2 yards of cotton material (for 1 gown) to make isolation gowns (300)
- Biodegradable Lunch Trays (for serving Residents in their rooms)
- 8 oz. coffee cups with lids (no Styrofoam)