Darius Tilghman

DARIUS TILGHMAN

CAMBRIDGE — The former Talbot deputy accused of sexually assaulting a woman and threatening her with his service handgun while off duty earlier this year is expected in Dorchester Circuit Court Wednesday morning, July 29, for his first appearance in the case.

Darius Lamont Tilghman, 27, has been held in jail since early April after a 29-year-old woman, whom Tilghman reportedly has known for years, alleged to police that Tilghman physically and sexually assaulted her at least three times between January and April 2020.

The former deputy is facing one felony charge of first-degree assault, and several misdemeanors, including two counts of second-degree assault, fourth-degree sex offense, reckless endangerment and use of a handgun during a violent crime.

Tilghman’s employment with the Talbot County Sheriff’s Office, where he had worked since 2014, was terminated in June in response to the assault and sex offense charges he’s facing, and a related protective order that bars him from carrying a weapon.

Tilghman’s accuser told police on April 7 that he on Jan. 19 strangled her with a fabric headband “to the point of almost losing consciousness,” pulled her pants down and then threatened her with his service handgun while the two were at his home in Hurlock.

She reported that when Tilghman allegedly was aiming the weapon at her he threatened, “Either I shoot myself or I shoot you,” according to court documents.

The woman also reported two other incidents to police she said occurred April 6 and 7 at Tilghman’s home and involved him allegedly wrapping his hands around her neck, accosting her face, and pushing her off the steps of his home, causing scrapes and abrasions to her hand and elbow. She also alleged Tilghman retrieved his service weapon during that incident but did not threaten her with it.

The woman is separately facing charges stemming from the same April incident. She is accused of burglarizing Tilghman’s home and is expected to face a jury trial in January 2021.

The woman’s trial in Dorchester Circuit Court is slated to span two days, both beginning at 9:30 a.m., on Jan. 6 and 7, according to online court records. She is charged with third- and fourth-degree burglary and malicious destruction of property valued at less than $1,000.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.