Vigil for Healing

A memorial of stuffed animals, candles and flowers was constructed near the intersection where James M. Wilmer, 30, of Denton was shot July 1. He later died at the hospital.

DENTON — The suspect wanted in connection with the fatal shooting of a man on July 1 in Denton was taken into custody late Thursday morning, July 30, in New Jersey.

The suspect, Jamaine V. Cheers, 33, of Denton, was arrested without incident shortly before noon Thursday by U.S. Marshals in the 2800 block of the Boardwalk in Atlantic City, New Jersey. Cheers is being held in the Atlantic County (N.J.) Jail pending extradition to Maryland.

The victim is identified as James M. Wilmer, 30, of Denton. Wilmer died July 2 at the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore. An autopsy by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Baltimore ruled Wilmer’s death a homicide and said his death was caused by a gunshot wound.

After consultation with the Caroline County State’s Attorney’s Office, Maryland State Police Homicide Unit investigators obtained an arrest warrant charging Cheers with first- and second-degree murder, first- and second-degree assault, use of a firearm in a felony/violent crime, carrying concealed deadly weapon, carrying a handgun, carrying a loaded handgun and reckless endangerment.

At about 8 p.m. July 1, 2020, Maryland State Police Homicide Unit investigators were contacted by the Denton Police Department and requested to respond to investigate a shooting officers were on the scene of. The preliminary investigation indicated that shortly before 6:30 p.m., Denton Police officers were called to the area of High Street and 4th Street for an assault in progress. Upon arrival, they were directed to the middle of the intersection, where Wilmer was found lying in the roadway. Officers observed Wilmer had sustained an apparent gunshot wound. Officers said a large group of people were in the area, but immediately dispersed upon their arrival.

EMS personnel responded and the victim was flown by a Maryland State Police helicopter to the trauma center for treatment. He died July 2.

A motive for the shooting has not been established at this time. The relationship between the victim and the suspect has not been determined at this point in the investigation.

The investigation is continuing.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.