EASTON — As the week comes to a close, six additional people on the Eastern Shore have been diagnosed with COVID-19, including a Caroline County woman and a Queen Anne’s County woman.
According to a news release from the Caroline County Commissioners Office, the county was notified Saturday morning, March 21, that a woman in her 30s who lives in the Federalsburg area had tested positive.
She was tested by primary care on March 17, and notification of the positive result was received in the early hours Saturday, the release stated.
The woman has no history of recent travel but had been in contact with individuals who had traveled, according to the release.
The Caroline County Health Department is working with the patient and the Maryland Department of Health to conduct contact tracing. This is a process to determine who the individual has been in close contact with during the past several days.
The woman is resting comfortably at home, where she and her family are self-quarantining, the release stated.
Shortly before 2 p.m. Saturday, Queen Anne’s County Health Officer Joseph A. Ciotola Jr. announced a woman in her 50s had tested positive.
A news release stated she is in her 50s and had traveled out of the country recently. She is in stable condition, according to the release.
“Unfortunately, we knew it was only a matter of time until we had our first case of COVID-19,” Caroline County Commissioner Larry Porter said. “Our team has been actively preparing for this and is ready.”
Porter said this case of community transmission emphasizes the importance of social distancing.
“This virus is no longer contained to only those who have traveled or who have underlying health conditions,” he said. “Its spread in our community demonstrates the need for people to take this seriously and stay home whenever possible.”
Due to privacy laws, the county is not able to release additional details about the infected individual at this time, the release stated.
Of the other patients, two are men in their 30s, one living in Worcester County and the other in Wicomico County. Their positive test results were made public on Thursday, March 19, by the health departments in their respective counties.
Also on Saturday, Wicomico announced its second confirmed case, a woman in her 60s.
The man from Wicomico had traveled internationally, Wicomico Health Officer Lori Brewster said. She said during a press conference on Thursday, March 19, that the man is doing well and is quarantined at home. Brewster also said he was tested for the virus outside of the county, not at Peninsula Regional Medical Center in Salisbury.
The man in Worcester did not have any history of international travel, but Worcester County health officials confirmed he was in close contact with the man who tested positive in Wicomico.
The woman in Wicomico is receiving treatment at Peninsula Regional Medical Center, and officials are investigating the details of her case.
Officials in Somerset County also announced the first case there on Saturday afternoon.
According to a news release from the Somerset County Health Department, the patient is a woman in her 60s. She is in good condition and isolating herself at home, officials stated.
In Talbot County, the first and only patient diagnosed with the novel coronavirus is no longer at the hospital. Following a query by The Star Democrat, Talbot County Health Officer Fredia Wadley confirmed the patient was in the hospital for a few days but now is recovering at home. Further details about the patient have not been released.
The Star Democrat also inquired about the number of tests that have been performed in Talbot County but had not received a response by press time.