EASTON — The Talbot County Council will have a light agenda for their meeting on Tuesday, Oct. 8, including an update by Choptank Electric Cooperative and a proclamation that will be read regarding Read Across Maryland Month.
A closed session will be held from 4:30 to 6 p.m. for legal, personnel and real estate matters in the Bradley Meeting Room, South Wing of the Talbot County Circuit Courthouse. The public meeting is scheduled for 6 p.m. in the same location.
“The Governor has declared the month of October to be Read Across Maryland month,” Talbot County Free Library Director Dana Newman said. “The Library is planning a number of events and activities to celebrate reading this month including promoting the importance of early literacy in Talbot County and holding a Get Caught Reading contest to promote the importance of reading at every age.”
During the month of October, the Talbot County Free Library is inviting all Talbot County residents to participate in the Get Caught Reading Photo Contest for a chance to win a prize.
To participate, it is recommended to email your photo as a JPEG (no larger than 10 MB) to firstname.lastname@example.org, and make the subject, “Get caught reading!” The email must include full name, phone number and title of the photo.
The contest rules include Take a photo that illustrates the theme, “Get caught reading.” The contest is limited to one entry per person; must be an Eastern Shore of Maryland resident to enter; all submissions must be an original photograph and must be taken by the person submitting it; Talbot County Free Library reserves the non-exclusive right to use the photographs at our discretion. The photographer is responsible for getting all necessary permissions; Photos must be submitted between Oct. 1 and Oct. 31, 2019.
Photos will be displayed at a reception at the Easton Library in January 2020. Drawings for prizes for those entering will be made at the reception. Sponsored by the Friends and Foundation of the Talbot County Free Library.
Other items on the agenda include:
• Update on Choptank Electric Cooperative Initiatives by Choptank Electric Cooperative Government Affairs Manager Matthew Teffeau
• Update by Talbot County Volunteer Fire and Rescue Association on Recruitment and Retention Efforts– Talbot County Volunteer Fire and Rescue Association President Earl Chance; Josh Hentz, Talbot County Volunteer Fire and Rescue Association
• Request by Talbot County Board of Education for Categorical Budget Transfer- Talbot County Public Schools Director of Finance Charles Connolly
• Update on Proposed Restructuring of Talbot County Department of Planning and Zoning – Planning Officer Mary Kay Verdery; Assistant Planning Officer Miguel Salinas
• County Manager’s Report: Request to Award Amendment No. 10 to Bid No. 15-23, Talbot County St. Michaels Phase V Engineering Services – Proposed Engineering Agreement; Request to Award Change Order No. 14 to Bid No. 17-09, Grace Street Pump Station Retrofit, St. Michaels; Request to Award Bid No. 19-15, Goldsborough Neck Road Paving Improvements, Easton; Request by Talbot County Parks and Recreation Advisory Board for Consideration to Allow Slip; Owners to Keep Second Slip if Financial Hardship can be Demonstrated
• Public Comments (http://www.talbotcountymd.gov/index.php?page=County_Council)
• Council Comments
• Closed Session – Legal, Personnel and Real Estate Matters
Items sometimes are added to or subtracted from the agenda as the council deems necessary, without prior notice.
To view the agenda, legislation and interactive maps, log onto www.talbotcountymd.gov.