CAMBRIDGE — The Office of the Maryland State Fire Marshal ruled carelessly discarded smoking materials in an exterior mulch bed caused Sunday’s three-alarm fire that destroyed the Cambridge House building on the property of the Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Resort in Cambridge.

Fire officials said the accidental fire caused $200,000 in damage to the one-story, wood-framed building and $20,000 of damage to contents.

The Cambridge House is used for conferences, and is located next to the hotel.

More than 100 firefighters from three different counties responded to the blazed, with Cambridge Rescue Fire Company being the first to be dispatched at 6:15 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 6. Fire officials said the building was fully involved, and additional fire crews were requested.

Fire crews from the Neck District, Trappe, Secretary, East New Market, Hurlock, Church Creek, Vienna, Oxford, Easton, Hebron and Cordova also responded to put out the blaze.

The main Hyatt building was evacuated for precautionary reasons. No injures were reported.

Fire officials said the fire was under control at about 8 a.m.

Follow Caroline/Dorchester Editor Dustin Holt on Twitter @Dustin_StarDem.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.