Fire damages Easton home

According to the Office of the Maryland State Fire Marshal, the “improper disposal of smoking materials” caused a fire Monday, Aug. 12, that began on the rear deck of this home on August Street in Easton.

EASTON — A fire damaged a home at 509 August St. on Monday afternoon, Aug. 12.

According to a news release from the Office of the Maryland State Fire Marshal, the fire reported at 4:18 p.m. started on the rear deck of the two-story home and was caused by “improper disposal of smoking materials.” It was discovered by the homeowner and a neighbor.

Fire marshals listed the owner/occupants of the house as Joseph and Betty Mowery.

Fire marshals said 30 firefighters from the Easton Volunteer Fire Department responded and had the fire under control in 49 minutes.

The estimated losses are $30,000 to the structure and $200 to contents, according to fire marshals.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.